Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Introduction

All,

Thanks for checking out my blog. Because this is the first post, I want to take a minute and describe my situation and motivation for expanding my currently small online presence. I have a job this summer to be an assistant guide with Exposure Alaska, a guiding company based in the Matanuska Valley northeast of Anchorage. As an assistant guide I will basically be an intern, learning the craft of guiding many different activities including backpacking, glacier trekking, and ice climbing. After several weeks in a purely apprentice position I will be cleared to take small groups of clients out onto the Matanuska glacier on my own for simple treks . I wish that I could be more specific but at this point I don't really know all of the details. Just know that I am really happy to have this position and am expecting a great summer.

I have a few personal and professional goals that I hope to accomplish this summer. First and foremost, I would like to gain skills and experience that contribute to my competency as an outdoor guide. With this in mind I hope to approach this experience with a sense of humility and openness. Although I bring a unique and valuable skill-set to this job, I am well out of my element (there are no glaciers near Tucson, Arizona). I plan to rely heavily on my ability to fail gracefully, learn new skills, and try again with hopes of becoming a better person and guide throughout this process. On a personal level, my goals are to become a proficient ice climber, become a more independent/confident person, and make connections with new people through this position.

Im writing this blog because I want to take you all along for the ride as best I can. Through text and photos I hope that my friends and family will come to better understand this experience as it is seen through my eyes. As I move into a new lifestyle and place, writing something like this can also be somewhat therapeutic for me. That being said, I will try not to be too self indulgent or egotistical in my posts (I know you were all worried).

Check out these links to see the area I will be in and the company I will be working for:

I am looking forward to an awesome summer! Talk to you soon.

Chris Pruden

No comments:

Post a Comment