Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Job

I apologize for the time between posts. My life here has kept me much busier that I anticipated. The season for glacier guiding in Alaska is in full swing, meaning that I am constantly in training for or assisting on trips. I hope that this post will iron out some of the details that I wasn't able to include in my last post about the nature of my job this summer.

As an assistant guide for Exposure Alaska, I have spent most of my days leading 3 hour glacier treks on the Matanuska Glacier. Exposure Alaska's sister company, MICA Guides focuses completely on the glacier trekking and ice climbing. Assistant guides are expected to learn how to safely guide glacier treks so that they can assist in this part of the business. Although this may sound mundane, glacier trekking is involved and engaging, especially as a guide. I have come to learn that glaciers hold many dangers and challenges that cannot be seen or appreciated from a distance. Learning how to negotiate and interoperate these features to clients is challenging and rewarding. Even more challenging is trying to make sure that everyone in the group is having a good time during this process. There has been a lot of information to learn and not much time to perfect it, but I am satisfied with my progress. I hope to be checked off to lead my own solo treks within a week or two. Assisting ice climbing trips out on the glacier will soon be another part of my day to day tasks. I am really looking forward to this opportunity because it gives me the chance to share climbing (my passion) with others.

As for life in general, it's very different. I live out of a tent, shower about every 5 or 6 days, and share a small kitchen space with over 15 people (without running water). Needless to say there are advantages and disadvantages to this lifestyle but I have enjoyed it so far. The focus of my life has been on the natural world around me. The Chugach Mountains loom tall to the south of the Matanuska Glacier, often beckoning me to stare for minutes rather than seconds. The glacier itself is spectacular. I am surprised what beautiful but minute formations can be found on something so grand. I hope that this post finds you all well. Until next time

Chris Pruden

2 comments:

  1. give us photos. I want to see your accommodations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your glacier photos gave me chills (literally and figuratively...) It looks absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete